"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Thursday, December 3, 2009

First Training Run

I decided on my second training run to log my training for Leadville, while, of course, running. This was relayed to my friend running ahead of me on the trail and she replied, "Why don't you create a blog?" Great idea. She even guaranteed that I would at least have one person tracking my experiences. So, you may all thank Tracey for this blog as I log my training publicly instead of privately.

Unfortunately, I've already run the first run on December 1st with Tracey; therefore, let me backtrack before continuing and give you the history of this undertaking.

Now, I did not idly decide to run Leadville. Last year, I paced a friend (Felix) during Leadville. On the way up to the run, I thought to myself, "These people are crazy! Running 100 miles in under 30 hours." Once there and caught up in the rain, hail, night, freezing cold, I again thought to myself; but this time the thought was, "Wow! What a great experience!" Yes, I was accused of being very Pollyanna in the middle of the night; I couldn't help it. I loved it. The night, the rain, the moon peaking out between clouds as the rain moved out and the absolute, complete, dogged determination to keep going exhibited by those exhausted runners around me.

After watching Felix cross the finish line and fulfill his goal, I was hooked. This spring I began my ultra odyssey by running my first 50 miler, Collegiate Peaks Trail Run out of Buena Vista, Colorado. By this time, I had run numerous other events from 5K to marathon distance and found out I enjoyed the longer distances and getting off the pavement and onto the dusty, rocky, uncertain trail.

After two 25 mile loops and crossing my first 50 mile finish line under my goal (goal was 11 hours and I finished in 10:28) this past May, I was tired, locked legged, but very happy. I not only came in below my estimated time; but after I wobbled out of the bathroom, I saw my name listed in second for my age group. Not world class running; but definitely hooked ... again.

That leads me to the ultimate decision to run Leadville. I enjoy testing my limits. I have a huge desire to do my best, be my best; but also am a realist and know I will never be Kara, Deena or Paula; but I could be me. A slow, but steady trail runner who wants to know what her ultimate limit is.

Wow. The Gods aren't crazy, you are was the general reaction of my family. My friends that I run with publicly encouraged me, despite whatever private concerns they may foster and that was enough for me. I even have experienced pacers and ultra runners in the ad hoc group of friends along with a very excited father-in-law who plans to pace me as well.

That's the history. Now for the nuts and bolts.

I give myself nine months to train for Leadville starting the first of December. I ran a marathon the first of November therefore, my base is there, albeit on roads. That just makes me even more excited to get off the pavement and hit my trails at my own pace. I have two goals - finish and the more lofty goal of finishing in 26-28 hours. I plan to create a training plan from a conglomerate of plans that works for me. I know what I do best, how many days of rest I need and hope I can use the experiences learned from this Spring training for Collegiate Peaks for next Spring. I plan to run Collegiate again and maybe through in another 50 depending on how I feel before August and Leadville.

Hang with me and read what an everyday master female runner -- not Team Dean, not King of the Peak Matt, nor ultra-extraordinaire monster Scott, or naked but wicked fast Tony -- but me, someone just like you, goes through in this wonderful, crazy, trail running experience. I have the utmost respect for all who can do this in under 17 hours (Matt, Scott, Tony listed above to name a few) and I am envious as heck; but, once again a realist here, so here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment