"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sunday's Run


Sunday December 13, 2009 / 8:00am

Ute Pass - Waldo Canyon - Williams Canyon
11.68 miles
2:53 hours

My second run with the Incline Club and what a rugged start we had! The plan was to run up Ruxton to the Ute Pass trail and then do a Waldo Canyon loop and then head back down Ute Pass and retrace our steps to Memorial Park. However, it did not pan out as planned. I was looking forward to this run and dreading it at the same time. The previous day, I ran Waldo Canyon and it was very nice and yet, still challenging. I was a little concerned with the warm temps that we had the afternoon before and what that did to the trail.

This time I drove since the weather was nicer (no snow) and Tracey drove last weekend. The temps were in the high 30s to low 40s; however, there was a little wind that kept a chill in the air when it hit us head on during the run.

After signing in and getting the route, I took off up Ruxton with Tracey at a nice, slow pace. However, once on Ute Pass, the enjoyment was over for the time being. The trail was murder. Light, fluffy snow about 6-8 inches thick that did not pack down. How this translated to running meant that no matter how many people went ahead of you, the trail did not pack down; the snow just squished to the side here and the side there. These were the conditions the entire length of Ute Pass and it took a toll on me. I was silently thinking to myself how much I hated this stretch. Unknown to me at the time, I was not the only one thinking those thoughts.

When our group all met up at the junction of Longs Ranch Road, it was decided that no one wanted to repeat that trail on the way back and our plan for the morning's run was readjusted to go down William's Canyon instead. Fine with me. I assured the group that Waldo Canyon was much better than Ute Pass, at least it was the previous morning.

So we took off and crossed highway 24 to Waldo. As we headed up the stairs, a runner on the way down warned us of ice on the trail. Yep, that afternoon sun really did a number on the trail the day before and most of the snow covered trail I ran yesterday was now covered in ice. This was still better than Ute Pass in my book. I took the trail slower than the previous day and fell in towards the rear of the group.

Once we hit the bail out to Williams, Tracey took the lead. She is an awesome downhill runner. I told my family after the run that she reminded me of an Indian scout. Someone you never saw unless there was danger. We would run for minutes without seeing her and then, there she would be, waiting on the opposite side of a treacherous patch, warning us. Once we negotiated the obstacle, she was off again, never to be seen until the next hazard.

Finally, out of the canyon and onto the paved roads of Manitou and the end of the run. What a morning! Those 11+ miles were difficult; but the sense of accomplishment was still there and worth it.

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday Tracey!

No comments:

Post a Comment