"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Falcon Loop

December 26, 2010
Falcon Loop - USAFA
13 miles (12.71 on Garmin)
2:36:19
12:17 min/mile pace

It is the day after Christmas and the temperature is 49 degrees with sun high in the sky.  What a gorgeous day to run the Falcon Trail Loop.  13 miles on the map; however, my Garmin always comes up short.  I don't know if this is due to the trees on the trail giving me an incorrect reading or the fact that the trail is actually shorter than it says.  We'll go with Chris miles and say I ran 13 today!

I really wanted to get some distance in while I was in Colorado and today was the day for me to do it.  And where else would I run but the Falcon Trail?  I started at noon and parked across from the stadium as usual and ran toward the commissary and BX.  Less than 1.5 miles into the run and I passed a runner.  This makes me look over my shoulder for the next 2 miles before I can tell myself to let it go and not worry even if he does retake me.  I am not running for speed, for any particular time other than less than 3 hours, so why do this to myself?   After passing the commissary and the fire station at the bottom of the hill, I head into the trees again and finally relax to enjoy running the next ten miles.

For the 3rd week of December, the trails are in absolutely excellent condition with one exception, a crossing of the creek in the midst of the trees.
This crossing I did twice. The wooden plank across the creek (seen in photo) led to a small island.  Once I crossed it, I could not ford the creek ahead without getting my feet wet so I went back across the plank and stepped/jumped across the rocks that jutted out of the water.  I only got one foot wet this way and nothing really to speak of.

After this, the trail was once again perfect as seen below.
Falcon Trail going up toward Eagle Peak parking lot
 There were a few mountain bikers on the trail; however, not too many and all were very nice.  One even apologized for using his bell to notify me of his existence behind me.  I saw four other runners out and a family of three - grandfather, father, and son - hiking up a trail I was heading down around mile 10.  Other than that, not very many people out enjoying the unseasonably warm weather and great trail conditions.

After 13 miles, I was tired but very happy about my progress.  It took me far less time than I anticipated given the fact that I have not run longer than six miles in four months!  Bob said my base would still be with me after Leadville and I believe he's right.  I am tired; however, I ate well, drank enough; but probably could have drunk more; and nothing really hurting except my left IT band up by my hip and down to the knee.  But this is most likely due to my lack of real stretching last week and the influx of miles since I've been down here.

My food of choice today included pretzel sticks, red vines, and protein peanut butter balls.  Each offered me something I needed - carbs, salt and protein!  I only took two electrolyte tablets since I did not push the effort and the temperature stayed around 49 degrees for the entire run.

Tomorrow, Grand Lake and snow!  Hopefully some snow shoeing as well!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Teri. I stumbled across a posting as I looked for info on a Mt. Herman trail run. Congrats on the Leadville finish! I was at the finish this year cheering folks on right about when you would have come in, so I'm sure we have 'met' before. Keep up the great blog, your running, and all other pursuits. Merry X-mas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Artimus! Never know if anyone reads runners' blogs ... glad to know a fellow runner stumbled my way ~ Teri

    ReplyDelete