"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas~

December 25, 2010
Garden of the Gods
Family Hike
2.38 miles

It's Christmas in Colorado!  But what weather we are having!  The snow is hitting the east coast - my mother and brother had a white Christmas in Kentucky and here I am, at the base of the Rocky Mountains with nary a flake to be seen!

Since the family did not get out for a hike on Thanksgiving due to me stabbing my foot with a knife chopping celery for stuffing, I was able to convince them that a hike today would make up for it and was still due.  
Garden of the Gods

I call it a hike, my girls reckon it  more to be a forced march!  However, with the temperatures in the forties and a beautiful sunny sky, not too much muttering was heard from them when we stepped outside after opening our gifts to take advantage of the gorgeous day.   Unlike the time I had them hike up the hill behind our house two Thanksgivings ago in snow above the knee!  That was a true labor of love on their part and one we'll never forget ~ at least they won't let me forget it.

I love spending time with my family and spending it out-of-doors whenever possible.  So, of course, I always vote for a family hike if an opportunity arises.  I can hold sway usually only 3 times a year - Mother's Day, my birthday and Thanksgiving.  But since we did not hike this Thanksgiving, I begged for a Christmas hike.  Neither Whitney nor Jess wanted to be accused of being a Scrooge so a hike was accepted.   Jess and Rick chose Garden of the Gods and that was that.

We parked in the main parking lot and crossed the street to catch the Palmer Trail and turned left to go up the trail.  Once on this, we skirted the outside of the main rock formations with Whitney getting some great photos.  She is the shutterbug in the family.  Me, I just use my phone!

From there, we re-crossed the road and hit the Scotsman Trail heading back toward the main parking lot until we connected to the paved trails that weave through the rock formations in the center of the park.   Once on the paved portions, we were surrounded by loads of other families doing the same thing - spending quality time with their loved ones outside, enjoying nature.
My new gloves!  Christmas gift
from Whitney and Robin!

All in all, an outstanding hike with the family in a beautiful park.  Even better, I got to wear the new gloves I got for Christmas!  Aunt Robin and Whitney both bought me a pair of these gloves!  Robin lives in Virginia and Whit goes to school in Spokane, amazing that they could both find skull and crossed bones gloves!  Better watch out, BA mom is back in training!

No comments:

Post a Comment