"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Monday, December 20, 2010

Jess and Fox Run

December 20, 2010
Fox Run Park
1.56 miles
20:42 minutes
13:19 min/mile

I'm home in Colorado!  I work and live in Casper, WY during the week and truly love my job; however, my youngest kiddo is here in Colorado and I miss her!  I went out and ran yesterday in Fox Run (3.32 miles @11:45 pace) and told Jess about it.  "Mom, I'll run with you tomorrow."  Yeah!

So, today is tomorrow and Jess and I have parked at Fox Run to run the almost mile loop.  We walk through the parking lot and begin the loop. It is uphill and I tell Jess let's take it easy and begin a brisk walk.  Most people go out way too fast and run too hard and then never repeat it.  I don't want my family to hate running.  While they may never enjoy it as much as I do, why push too hard and have them despise it?

Jess and I pick it up on the flat stretch and break into a nice slow jog.  Jess has been running at school and can pump out a mile pretty quickly on the old gym floor; however, running on trails about 1000 feet higher in elevation is a tad different and she begins to feel it pretty quickly.  As do I!  I have not run solidly for over three months and have felt the pounds creep up on me.  I work long days and then am loathe to hit city streets paved in darkness.

Jess and I slow to a walk at another uphill stretch and we chat a bit before rounding our first turn.  Once we hit this new trail, it is mostly downhill and a lovely stretch to run.  I tell her to let gravity do the work, breathe deeply and relax.  I hear her breathing even out and I resist the urge to fly.

We turn again and this time all the downhill that we just enjoyed disappears as well face a steep uphill for a bit.  nothing wrong with that, what goes down must come up and we run to a stump then walk to another.     We continue this practice until I see the end in sight and we run over the bridge.  We do not quite have a mile so I tell Jess we'll walk it out.  At a little over a mile we turn and jog back.

How do you feel? I ask Jess.  Okay is her reply.  Do you want to run a bit more?  Sure.  So we decide to go up the trail we just ran down, this time, walking briskly.  I spy a favorite single track that will take us almost to where we want to go and jump on it.  As I make my way onto the track a low branch snags my hat and it falls off.  I stop to pick it up and look at the tree.  It is covered with slices of apples and tiny oranges!  Someone has left a goody tree for the deer and other animals in Fox Run.  What a cool sight and one I would have missed if we stopped at a mile.  Jess tells me I missed another with a stocking in it back a little ways.  Darn it!

We run down the single track and turn right to return to the parking lot.  At 1.5 miles, we stop and walk the rest as a cool down.  What great mother daughter time.  Not a single other runner was out today - it was quite windy and we congratulated ourselves that a 50mph wind did not stop us from getting out.  Jess tells me she'll run again with me during the Christmas break. I'm excited; I know that running is not her sport so I won't push too hard.  I'll just take what I can get and enjoy it for all it's worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment