"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snow Shoeing & Sleigh Ride

Green Mountain Trail
Rocky Mountain National Park
December 29, 2010
Green Mountain Trail
3.7 miles

Second day in Grand Lake and I really wanted all of us to go snow shoeing.  I'm a glutton for punishment, I know.  But I love to snow shoe and want my girls to enjoy the same things as I do.  I never know if they really do enjoy these outings, or if they've just come to accept them as part of the deal -- children of a fanatic who loves the outdoors.

We rented snow shoes for them downtown in the morning and then drove into Rocky Mountain National Park and stopped at the visitor's center for a trail recommendation.  Green Mountain Trail goes up about 600 feet in elevation and tops out at a big meadow was the choice for us.  Okay, the one I chose for the family, I'll be honest here.  It also hooked onto other trails and we could do a long loop if all were okay with that.  Hmm, found out later I would certainly be pressing my luck if we did that - I can only ask so much from my family before they retort, "Hey, not all of us runs ultras Mom!" 

With that, we drove to the trailhead.  Weather, sunny and freakin' freezin' cold!  Temps in the morning were registering minus 8 degrees when we went to breakfast; however, we had the proper clothing and all was well.
Jessica and Whitney snow shoeing!

After getting everyone geared up, we headed up the trail with Jessica and Whitney alternating the lead.  I was in the middle and then dropped back about half way up to take pictures and make sure we didn't leave Rick behind!

The trail climbed very steadily and soon all of us were breathing hard.  The elevation started at over 8500' and topped out at 9300+'.  Jess made sure we all knew the park ranger lied about the elevation gain.  I told her not necessarily; I did not check the elevation at the trailhead, rather at the visitor center!  Jess was not mollified and continued to insist he lied.
Family going up Green Mtn Trail 

Whitney also had her demons to deal with during the trek up to the big meadow -- she claimed she pulled both her groins!  She also insists she's Jewish so I never know when to believe her.  However, after watching her later that night walk down the streets of Grand Lake, I know she pulled something while snow shoeing.  Oh my goodness!  What a sight to see -- Whit walking slow and bow-legged as if she just got off a horse over the icy streets of Grand Lake.  I almost died laughing!

But, back to the trek.  Man!  What a gorgeous day and great outing!  It was absolutely beautiful and we only came across two others as we headed down the trail on our way back.   At the top of the trail (1.8 miles), we were rewarded with the great view of the mountain range on the opposite side of a very large meadow.  At the top, there is a hitching post for horses; however, with the snow, it is now a bench for snow-shoers and cross-country skiers.  We made ourselves comfortable there while we ate our granola bars and rested.
Top of Green Mtn Trail - Big Meadow 

After a brief rest and pictures of the meadow - Whitney is standing almost in the middle of my picture of the meadow taking her own pictures - we headed back down the trail.  It was cooler on the return for us for two reasons, the sun had passed its apex and we were not working nearly as hard as we did on the way up.   As I looked around me at the forest, snow and my family, I just felt so lucky once again.  To be out and enjoying the beauty with my family ... can anyone ask for more?

Once we reached the car, and divested ourselves of snow shoes, it was a short drive back to Winding River Resort and our room.  We changed out of the wet clothes and "chillaxed" for about an hour before heading out for our second jaunt of the day ... a sleigh ride!  

I saw read about Windy River Resort and their sleigh rides in my Sunset magazine and thought what a wonderful way to end the day.  It was a fun time shared with two other families and the owner and operator of the Ranch and Resort.  Our two horses, Belgium draft horses, were named Charlie and Spike.  The barn dog was Nugget and he accompanied us on the sleigh ride by sitting next to Cory, our driver.

The sleigh was filled with pillows and blankets and was pretty comfortable until the sun went down about two-thirds of the way into the ride, then it became very cold with steam rising from Charlie and Spike's bodies as they pulled the sleigh.  But, oh what fun it is to laugh and sit in a sleigh - Hey!

Whitney and Jess in Sleigh!
After petting Charlie and Spike, getting a family photo with them and giving Nugget a final farewell pat on the head, we departed for a well-deserved dinner at the end of a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment