"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Snow Finally!

Fox Run Trailhead - those are my
footprints coming down (there no snow
here when I went up it earlier)
Fox Run Park
December 30, 2010
4.5 miles
11:47 min/mile

Christmas in Colorado and we had no snow in the Springs;  therefore, the family went to Grand Lake spending Monday - Wednesday playing in the snow.

With the winter activities in Grand Lake behind me, I really wanted to get out and run today, despite the dire forecasts.  I'll admit, I've been a bit lazy and have slept in longer than normal this week.  I am on vacation after all and will not have this chance again for quite some time.  So, I did not set foot outside until noon today.

The sun had been shining all morning and despite the cold temperatures, looked to be a very nice day.  However, after gearing up for my run, the clouds pressed down upon us and the sky became leaden and heavy with the promise of snow.

As soon as my garmin caught a passing satellite, I was up the trail.  I had not trod 50 paces before a single snow flake fell.  This solitary flake was then lazily followed by a few more.   As I continued, more  flakes fell and promised to be a nice little snow storm.  I had no fear and actually looked forward to running in the fresh snow.  It is amazing how being prepared for the weather lets you embrace it and enjoy it so much more.

As I continued up to Fox Run park, the snow increased; but unfortunately, my speed did not.  I felt heavy from all the Christmas goodies and massive over-eating of late.  As much as I love the holidays, I dread the extra five pounds I invariably gain due to fudge, cookies, cakes, coconut joys, candied coated pretzels ... ah, the list goes on!

The park was quiet as I ran through it today, very few people in it and the snow continued to fall.   I love how the snow blankets and quiets everything, even when it is spitting tiny pellets at you instead of fluffy, white flakes.   I was warm and my fleece whitened with the snow as I ran along the trails.  Two hikers came toward me and I gauged how fast the snow was falling by how rapidly I lost their tracks in it.   Fairly fast, I surmised as it did not take long to lose their prints.

After the run with snow!
With my fatigue and the snow falling faster, I decided to shorten my run by hitting a favorite single track and cut about a half mile off of my regular park rimming loop.  None too soon either; as I crossed Baptist Road on the return, it was obvious how quickly the weather changed with the formally clear road now covered in white.  Seven-tenths of a mile later I ran in front of my house and called it day.  A hot shower awaited with errands to run in the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment