"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Second Winter Series Run

January 23, 2010
El Pomar Sports complex
8.12 miles
1:10:58 hours

Second in the Pikes Peak Road Runners' Winter Series and all flat. This was run a tad south of downtown Colorado Springs on a section of the trail that runs all the way from Palmer Lake down to Pueblo. I run the upper and middle portions quite a bit (The Pikes Peak Greenway Trail).

The trail surface was packed dirt, concrete, and asphalt and ran along the Monument Creek I believe, as well as the homeless camps, yikes. However, the CSPD was out and very visible today, thank you!

I told myself to run a smart race. I also knew I had a long run the next day. And, two of my friends were there running with me who I know are faster than me and I didn't want to try and keep up with them! In addition, another friend, Scooter, or Scooticus, was there for the short series. The short series was actually 4 miles - not real short if you ask me.

At the start, I held back and got into a pack. Forgot to mention, it was bloody windy!! I didn't necessarily want to draft off someone, just wanted people to be windbreakers for me for the headwind we faced. This strategy worked very well until about a half mile and we started stretching out a bit as runners. By then, I was warmed up and good to go.

I never looked at my Garmin other than to make sure it was on, so I didn't know my pace. I like this, racing on how I feel versus the watch. I felt great. So great that I probably could have pushed it more but the thought of the turn at mile four kept me in check.

The short distance runners took off 15 minutes ahead of us, so I couldn't wait until I saw them coming back to see where Scooter was in the pack. After a little over a mile, the leaders started streaming past me, way too fast for me! I spotted Scooter and, as he passed, I gave him the tally of runners ahead of him. If I were fast and could race like that, I would really appreciate knowing how many were ahead of me. He looked to be running very easy and not hurting at all. Way to go Scooter!

It was time to get my head back into my own race. Lovely day, sunny, the trail ran along the river or creek, I didn't even notice the homeless shelters too much and back to running! At the 4 mile point, and let me pause here to say how wonderfully this course was marked and manned, we turned around.

This was the point I stopped enjoying the run as just a fun run and picked up the pace. I got the legs turning over more quickly and began setting my sights on the runners ahead of me. This is one tactic that really helps me in a short run. My friend Trudi, who got me into running again, taught me this. I stare down the back of the nearest runner in front of me and will myself to pass them. Some take longer than others but it usually works if I had the strength.

At the 6 mile point, I was still feeling good but getting more tired. I had to keep my head in the race and that's when I began to tell myself, "It's only two miles, you can run two miles!" or "It's less than 20 minutes, you can do anything for 20 minutes." Both work for me.

Less than a mile left, I think, and I spotted a runner in front of me who I thought looked like Tracey. This runner was my next target and it took me awhile to catch her. As I drew up behind her slowly, I realized that it was Tracey. What in the world?! Why am I passing her here? She told me as I passed that she was just beat. (She had a very, very heavy mileage week). After her, I passed John and then one final runner before the finish, I believe.

That finish was hard! I heard Tracey's friends shouting to her so I knew she had drawn up close to me again and I really wanted to keep her from re-passing me! She told me afterwards, she was on my shoulder as we crossed the finish line!

Total passed on the way back: 15; total who passed me: 2. I ran very smart. However, after I looked at my Garmin, I realized that I ran the last four miles over a minute per mile faster than I ran on the way out. So, now I wonder if I should have, could have, run those first four miles faster and maybe came out even better?

At the end, I saw Holly who just looked strong on the way out and back and had a great race. Scooter was already gone; but I looked at his finish and he came in 14th overall! First race in C-Springs for him and what a statement!

My final result was 9th in my age group -- 5th in the series for my age group. Wow. That was a surprise since the first run I was 6th and this run I was 9th. Stay away 40-44 year old ladies! Give this one a chance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment