"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ute Pass/Waldo/Ute Pass

January 10, 2009 / 8:00 am


Sunday's Incline Club Run

15.25 miles

3:17 hours




Today was the first day I've done a long run after a race and I was anxious to see how I would do. After the run yesterday, my left arch, which was tender after Wednesday's run, was tender again. No pain this morning but my legs were definitely a little tired.

Today was also the first day the Incline Club did a Ute Pass, Waldo, Longs Ranch Road combo and Matt Carpenter gave a pep talk to all of us along the lines of Aragon in front of the Black Gates of Mordor. To paraphrase, "Some lowland people are training to take our mountain away; but it is not this day!" Then he galloped away on his stick horse and garbage can shield.



Since I'm on my training plan now, I'm sticking to a pretty tight schedule of what I need for long runs. I based my training last year for my 50-miler on time on feet versus actual mileage since a lot of my training includes hills. It worked for me then therefore, I'm using it again this year.



I ran for 2:45 hours last week and only wanted to bump up my time by about 15-20 minutes so I knew I would not be able to do the whole scheduled run but wanted to do as much as I could today and still make my target times. With that said, up I went up Ruxton with the pack.



At the Cog Railway, the group split into three: those who went up the Barr Trail, those who went up the Incline, and the rest of us who went up Ute Pass. The conditions on this trail have improved significantly in the last four weeks; however, given this is still only January, that will change! I forgot my grippies and Tracey lent me hers before she and Louisa took off toward Garden of the Gods earlier. About a third of the way up the trail, I stopped and put on her Yakx (still not sure of correct spelling!). With those on, Ute Pass was very manageable.



At the "Y," a few runners were milling around; however, since I did not recognize any and I knew what I needed to do, I continued on to the right and headed down Longs Ranch Road toward Waldo Canyon.



The parking lot of Waldo was filled with Search and Rescue vehicles but no sirens were blowing and the trail was not blocked so I went up the stairs to the trailhead. My goal during this run was to make it onto Waldo trail before I started seeing runners coming back from the loop and I did it! Once on the trail, a total of four runners passed me on the way back before I hit the loop.


Waldo Canyon is a great run in the summer; in the winter, it is a little different. There are parts that the sun hits for a short time, warming the snow for a few hours before turning it into a sheet of ice. The loop of Waldo was almost completely covered in ice with a very few exceptions. I hate ice. Truly. I will walk downhill rather than run on it. Waldo Canyon took me a lot longer than I anticipated because of this. However, in one of the few sunny spots about 1/2 way around the loop, I stopped to snap this photo - That's Pike's Peak in the distance. This does not show the trail conditions; but it is a beautiful view.


Finally, after an inordinately long time and playing leap frog with another runner who passed me on the last part of the loop and zoomed down the icy parts whereas I picked my way slowly, I was at the top of the stairs at the trailhead. I looked down to the parking lot and the runner who passed me earlier was crossing the road back to Longs Ranch Road. Great. I'll never catch him now I thought.


At the bottom of the stairs, a couple of search and rescue guys were still there so I quickly asked if they were running training op and they said yes. Have a good day, I threw over my shoulder as I ran down the parking lot toward the crossing of Highway 24.



Once on Longs Ranch, I ate another fig newton - great easy food to carry on a long run - put my gloves back on and began power hiking up the road. I couldn't believe it. I saw the runner not too far ahead of me. I got a second wind with that view and by the time I hit the Ute Pass turn-off, I caught him. Once together, I asked him how far up the road to the first turn off. About an hour he replied as he continued up. I looked at my watch and saw I had already been out for 2:35 hours. It took me 50 minutes to get to this point on the way out so I elected to head back down Ute Pass instead of going up Longs Ranch. I would be where I wanted to be time-wise and in addition, Tracey rode with me and she was only doing 10 miles today so I knew she was already waiting on me.



Ute Pass was no more enjoyable this way than the way out. I have to agree with the others that Ute Pass is not one of my favorite trails; but, oh well, one must run it to get back to Memorial Park. What a long trail with hills both ways no matter how you run it.



After hitting the trailhead and heading down Ruxton, I really felt yesterday's run. I was tired. Once again, one last runner to pass before hitting the park and seeing Tracey waiting with some friends. Even better, there was still food left over when I got there!



After the race, my right ankle was tight and a tad sore so I rubbed some Icy Hot on it and hope that it is nothing serious. It feels tight as I write this so I will take it easy tomorrow and see how it goes!

The picture at the top is the view of Longs Ranch on the lower portion where I was today.








No comments:

Post a Comment