"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Marathon Training Run


August 1, 2010
Santa Fe Trail
26.2 miles
4:47:21
10:58 min/mile

This is my last long run before Leadville and I really want it to count so I elected to do a marathon distance. My plan was to get leg turn over and stay away from hills for this run; therefore, I decided to run down the Santa Fe Trail 9 miles, return and continue past the trailhead for 4 miles before heading back down for the last 4 miles and a downhill finish.
Starting at the Baptist Trailhead, I ran down it to North Gate and beyond for my 9 miles. This took me down through the twisty, windy, hilly part and past Ice Lake. I really enjoyed it except for the humidity once again. The rain in the late afternoons is really making the mornings humid and I'm feeling it today.
After using the porta-pottie at Ice Lake and running a bit beyond to give me a full nine miles, I turned and headed back up the trail. On the way down earlier so many runners were heading up the trail. Trust me, they were smarter than I was since they went up first and then went down and I still had 13 miles of uphill staring in the face. I elected to practice my powerhiking on the hills in the Academy and that worked great.

Once back at the Baptist trailhead, I refilled my camelback, got part of a sandwich and continued up the trail for another four miles. Man, I'm glad I got out at 7am this morning. The weather was actually pretty nice and I could not fault the Santa Fe today.

Finally, a little past the four mile point, I turned and headed back down. My pace did not improve all that much and if it wasn't for the first 9 miles, my pace would have been pretty poor. I blame it on the rising heat and the altitude of yesterday. It would be easy to get discouraged after a run like today; however, I know there will be days like this and I hope this is the last of them before Leadville.

No comments:

Post a Comment