"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Holly's Choice



May 15, 2010
Waldo/Williams/Ute Pass Trail
9.29 miles
1:57:19 hours
12:37 min/mile



Williams Canyon


Okay, so here I am, a little late - not much, about five minutes - but, that's enough time for Holly and Dave and Jeff to decide maybe Waldo Canyon isn't enough for today. As soon as I get out of the car, Holly hits me with would you like to run more than just Waldo? Three people look at me expectantly and I say, sure! Holly is the ring leader in this, I know; this is her cup of tea. I've never run this loop beginning at Waldo so it will be a new experience for me and more distance, so all is good.



The weather is picture perfect - overcast and in the high 40's - and I quickly shed my long sleeve and tie it around my waist for the most of the run. Holly, Dave, Jeff and I take off up Waldo and hit the loop counter-clockwise to pick up the Williams Canyon bailout trail. Holly leads most of this way since she knows what we are looking for and I am being very careful, looking for roots. This is the trail that I took such a hard spill a couple of months ago on and I don't want a repeat of that.

At the bailout trail, we head down Williams Canyon. This is the first time I've done this trail without snow on it and it is significantly different. It is also spring in the Rockies and we had to find one alternate route over a creek that is usually dry or iced over.



This trail is not one that novices can run fast. There are large boulders to traverse, a creek to cross and recross, and steep, rocky portions. As a matter of fact, the Incline Club has you sign a waiver before you run Williams Canyon with them. Good news for the four of us, no one slips, falls, or injures themselves and we hit the old road below Cave of the Winds and make our way into Manitou Springs.

Thus far, we've run about 4.5 miles with Ruxton Avenue looming ahead and Ute Pass Trail, the trail I dislike the most. As I told Holly, I don't hate it, I reserve 'hate' for Longs Ranch Road! I told them that I was setting the pace up Ruxton, I didn't want to blow myself out trying to keep abreast of Dave and Holly. All agree that my energizer bunny, super slow pace is just fine and we power up Ruxton.

At the Cog Railway, we hit Ute Pass Trail (UPT) and begin the next torture. By this time, I'm getting a little tired. My legs are feeling heavy and I can't decide if it's due to the hard bike ride yesterday or the ultra two weeks before. I play the ultra card and try to garner sympathy. Dave and Holly just power up UPT and Jeff is right there with them while I slow to powerhiking and catch my breath and try to bring my heart rate down. Jeff doubles back to me when he realizes how far I've dropped back. All works well and I'm finally feeling better and break into a slow run when possible.



Dave pulls in behind me toward the end of UPT and we talk about our kids who share diabetes and compare notes. Conner is older than Jess and has had it longer so Dave and Holly are excellent resources for me about what to expect and how to deal with it.



Finally! Longs Ranch Road is in sight and lucky for us, all we have to do is run down it to make it back to Waldo Canyon and the parking lot. 9.29 miles later and we've completed the Saturday morning run. What a great, taxing run for me. I always know Dave and Holly will challenge me out there and I appreciate that.

I also think the curse of Jeff is broken! He ran behind me the entire time on Waldo and I didn't fall once!

Holly's long run is over ... mine is slated for tomorrow - 20+ miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment