"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, February 14, 2010

3rd Winter Series Race


Winter Series III
Santa Fe Trail
10 miles
1:33:23


I don't think I like the 10:15am starts, especially when the wind kicks up! This was an okay race; but I wasn't expecting much with the back still iffy and questionable. My back was twinging before the race so I took 800mg of Vitamin I and hoped for the best.

Rick and Jess drove me to the start and I quickly saw Tracey there. She ran down to the start (and ran back up after the race!), crazy woman! I didn't find Holly until we were both in the starting corral. She emailed me the night before telling me she would run with me, I emailed her back and told her I wasn't sure she would want to run with me since I was going to be slower than her! She reassured me that yes, she was running with me!

Holly was great! She ran with me for the first three miles and got my pace in the 9:30's, much quicker than I usually am when I start up the Santa Fe. However, poor Holly, she could only take 3 miles of my slow pace before she asked me if she could run along!

Miles 4 - 6 were patchy, snow-packed and I haven't learned how to run on that very well as yet; although Holly gave me some tips after the race. My pace fell off going into the turn and mile 6 was slower than I wanted because of that.

Miles 7-10, all sub 9 minute miles with the last mile the fastest of them all... good! Still in 5th place in my age group - even with the back!!

It was great overall. I had the best time with Rick and Jess along the course cheering me on at various locations! They were the best cheering squad out there and I really can tell a difference in my running when family is there to cheer me on.

This race Tracey started ahead of me and stayed ahead of me! No way I could catch her. Her marathon training is going great and she is getting stronger and stronger every day. I think from here on out, she will consistently be finishing in front of me.

A nice soak with Epsom Salts and a easy night with plans for the Falcon Trail tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment