"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Santa Fe Again

February 18, 2010
Santa Fe Trail
8.13 miles
1:19 hours

Another day trying to stay off the hills. My back is doing great; however, my left hamstring has decided to make itself known in a not so pleasant manner. Really, really, not happy about that.
So, with that in mind, hitting the Santa Fe again ... this time from North gate down and then back up -- trying to spice things up by hitting different portions of this wonderful, long trail running north to south along Colorado Springs. And yes, of course, I did throw in some hills ... call me a glutton for punishment.

I really wanted to get back in time to hit a yoga class -- my chiro says it will be good for my back and I really should try to stretch myself better... unfortunately, I mis-managed my time on the run and missed the class. I'll start on Tuesday!

Good run down from North Gate. After 2.5 miles, you hit a stretch I refer to as the Narrows -- the trail goes from very flat, albeit downward grade to a series of up and down "S" turns down into a canyon and trees. I love this section, although, it usually kicks my butt pretty seriously. Goal was over an hour for the entire run and I certainly achieved that.

At the 4 mile point, I decided to turn around and head back up the trail. The Narrows took their toll on me going uphill mostly and my pace slowed significantly. Finally, hitting the flat (now slightly upward sloping) last 2.5 miles, I was able to marshall my energies, re-group and get a good, constant stride going.

Very nice with a tail wind today going back up. That felt good just because it was nippy heading down into the wind.

I can't believe it: checking my pace from Tuesdays run where I went uphill first and today's run where I went downhill first and then up - I had the exact same pace. What does this mean? I'm stronger than I think? Or it takes more mileage for me to get into a groove? Either way, I'm nothing but consistent!

No comments:

Post a Comment