"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Snow Shoeing!


Rocky Mountain National Park
February 27, 2010
6.2 miles
2.5+ hours

This is a good news bad news post: Bad news - I miscalculated the Winter Series; Good news - We scheduled a snow shoe trip to Rocky Mountain National Park this weekend.

I did not run the final race in the Winter Series this weekend, instead we went snow shoeing in Rocky Mountain National Park. This was a good thing. Instead of running 12 miles hard and risking a prolonged hamstring injury, I enjoyed a leisurely snow shoe hike through RMNP with Rick. This was the best overall solution to end this week.

The weather was great, the views phenomenal and what a nice trail up Loch Vale from Glacier Gorge. The trail was slightly uphill the entire way to the lake with just the last portion very steep. Once we crested the steep part, the wind hit us pretty hard and we elected not to linger very long at the lake. We found a spot semi-protected from the wind and ate a quick lunch before heading back down.

The wind was so cold that I got chilled and it took over a mile back down the trail before my fingers warmed up. I still was cool the rest of the way but didn't really pick up the pace until the last mile ... I had to - I was getting colder and I knew there was a bathroom at the trailhead! Now, I'm not usually that modest, wasn't on the way up; however, when there are a lot of people on the trail, which there were, I elected to move a bit and use the correct facilities!

Overall, what a great day - two of my favorite things: National parks and outdoor activities - does life get any better?! Yes, it does, I know that; but I cannot complain, especially with a nice dinner, a glass of wine and a warm, soft bed at the end of the day and thoughts of the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment