"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Monday, June 28, 2010

Elk Park

Elk Park to Barr Camp+
June 28, 2010
12.7 miles
3:22:50
15:58 min/mile pace

Chris chided me on Saturday and said I needed to get on the mountain. Dude! I did a fourteener road race last weekend! I guess in his book that doesn't count. So, with Bob's directions fresh in my head, I decide to head up the Pikes Peak road and hit the trail at the Elk Park overlook. My plan is to get in 20+ miles today since I didn't do my long run on Sunday - instead, I watched four games of softball between Saturday night and Sunday -- all with Jessica pitching. Her team came in third in the tourney (5 wins, 1 loss - yup, single elimination sucks).

I got up at a decent hour; however, I just couldn't get out of the house until 9:30 am. This proved to be way too late for a run on Pikes Peak above treeline as I will explain.

By the time I got to the trailhead almost 14 miles up Pikes Peak road, it was already after 11am. The Elk Park trailhead is .9 miles past the Glen Cove brake check station and barely visible from the road. An old gate was my only marker and before I spotted it, I thought I had driven way past the trailhead. Elevation up here is at 11,850' (Matt Carpenter's website gave me this figure and I'm sticking to local legend to know!) - perfect elevation to begin a run. Bob warned me last week that you run down to Barr Camp (elevation 10,200') and then have the long slog back up to Elk Park on your way out. Yikes. After a quick look around the parking lot area, the only trail I see is one down a bit. This trailhead does not say "Elk Park;" however, it is the only one I see and therefore, I decide to take it. Bob told me it was about 5.5 miles to Barr Camp and I know he's spot on when it comes to distances. With that in mind, I start down the trail and hope for the best!
At about 1.4 miles down the trail there is this sign that gave me proof I was on the right trail! Whew! I was glad I didn't make a rookie mistake here. The trail begins above tree line but after about a mile, hits the trees for good. This section is very nice as well as continuously downhill.

I am enjoying the views and the trail. It is beautiful; however, I am already dreading the return trip up this trail later in the day. Thankfully there is cloud cover and the temperature is not too warm at this elevation. I started with a long sleeve shirt on but quickly shed it and tied it around my waist. I have my camelback and my 24oz water bottle with me plus some money for a bottle of gatorade at Barr Camp if I'm out all day.


This trail is absolutely gorgeous. You run along the side of the mountain, exposed to start this trail; but then, you drop into the trees and have wonderful, soft, pine needle coated trail along with some meadows to run through. One creek crossing and I find an old log half eaten by termites to traverse and I'm across.

After 5.6+ miles, I roll into Barr Camp and turn up the Barr Trail toward the top of Pikes Peak. I don't plan on summiting today; just want to get in 3 miles up the trail to A-Frame and back. However, when I look up, I see storm clouds forming over the peak and I begin to get concerned. Lightning on Pikes Peak is a scary thing, especially above tree line. I started this run above tree line. If I do 20 miles today, I'll be ending my run after 4pm in the prime time for afternoon storms ... above tree line. Double Yikes.

After about a little less than a mile up the trail, I elect discretion over valor and turn around. I've gone over 6 miles, all above 10,200', and now it's time to be smart and get my butt off this mountain as quick as I can before the thunderstorm rolls in. Did I mention we had thunderstorms the two previous afternoons?

I quickly do the math in my head and questimate if I'm lucky, I will get to the top of the trailhead before 3:30pm. That's cutting it close; especially above treeline but I don't have many options unless I want to leave the Jeep on Pikes Peak and run the six miles down the Barr Trail to Manitou Springs. I decide to head for the jeep and not pay another 12 bucks for the road fee to rescue the Jeep.

Ouch. This trail back up sucks! I am powerhiking, running, walking, doing whatever I can to keep moving up this mountain before I have the misfortune to get hit by lightning! I pause just long enough to take a couple of photos. The first one here is what I am anxious about -- the dark clouds coming over the tops of the mountains.
The second one, below, is the trail ahead of me with about 1+ miles left. Up on the grassy knoll is my Jeep. I can see it with the naked eye; but it doesn't look like it came out to well in the photo. This is a very welcomed sight for me and I hope the weather will hold long enough for me to make it without getting electrocuted!
Those white puffy clouds do not accurately protray what is rolling in over my shoulder!

A little after 3 pm I make it to the trailhead! Yes! As I look around, I notice more dark clouds but thankfully, I do not hear anything except the wind which has picked up significantly. I hit the portapottie there and shed my sweat-drenched clothes for the long-sleeve and fleece in the Jeep. I was sweating so much I didn't realize how cold my fingers were on the return. Summer in the Rockies above 11,000' can still be pretty cold!

Once in the Jeep and safe and sound, I head back down Pikes Peak and back to normalcy. What a run! Even though it was much shorter than I planned, still a good run.




No comments:

Post a Comment