"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Finishing My Twenty


Santa Fe Trail
June 29, 201o
7.51 miles
1:12:10
9:37 min/mile pace


Rick gave me the idea to run the rest of my 20 miles today that I didn't get in yesterday and I decided to do it. I have a long run planned tomorrow with Tracey (Rampart Reservoir - 15 miles) so I didn't want to over-extend myself after Elk Park yesterday and elected to run the Santa Fe Trail from Monument up to Palmer Lake and back.

I got started 10:30 am and the temperature was already 76 degrees. I ran with just my shorts and running bra since I knew the temperatures would just climb higher as the hour passed. A nice tailwind for the uphill first leg and I came into Palmer Lake with a 9:30 pace before I hit the bathroom and stretched for my 3.5+ miles back down.

That nice tailwind turned into a strong headwind on the way back. Here, where I live in Colorado, there is virtually no wind early in the morning. Then it gradually picks up midmorning to a rather brisk wind (20-25knots) in the afternoon before evening when it finally subsides; that is, unless you have stormy weather then all bets are off. One of the reasons I like Fox Run Park so much is that the trees protect you from the majority of the wind. If I see the trees swaying a bit at my house, I know the wind is pretty brisk a thousand feet below where the Santa Fe Trail is. There aren't many trees on the Santa Fe. But I digress and now back to my mid-morning run.

At the end of my run, I hit the garmin and am not surprised that although I ran downhill on the way back, my pace was slower due to the wind. The wind is my friend, the wind is my friend ...

No comments:

Post a Comment