"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday Run with the Guys

Monument Valley Park
Cache Le Poudre Trailhead
June 26, 2010
7.81 miles (2.5 & 5.31)
70:28 minutes
9:31min/mile & 8:49 min/mile


The emails went back and forth from Thursday evening and it was decided we would run six miles at 7am starting at Cache or Monument Valley Park. I need more than just six miles and if we had run a straight shot down the Santa Fe Trail, I was going to run with the guys and then turn around and run back up the trail. However, since we are going to run and out and back, I elect to get to the trailhead early and get a couple of miles in before the rest show up. And this is what I did.

I cannot drag my sorry bag of bones out of bed at a decent hour unless it's for a race it seems. I finally wake up, drink my coffee, and head out the door a little past 6am. This puts me at the trailhead at 6:30 and I begin my pre-run run and loop Monument Creek twice before I see Bob and the others at the trailhead.

I am busted! When I come up to the guys, I tell them I just ran to the bathroom. Yeah, right. Why is there so much sweat on you then? "Secret Training," they crow and I admit I got a couple of miles in early. After so much back and forth bantering, Bob ropes us in and says we've wasted too much of his time and now he can only run 5 miles today. Guess we'd better hit the trail.

We run up the downtown section of the Santa Fe Trail. As we go, we run next to one person and then another and catch up with each other in this manner. I've been busy running races and have not run with Mike, Jeff, Chris or F in awhile. I ran with Bob last weekend doing the Mt. Evans Ascent.

At the turn around point, we stop, stretch, and perform other vital bodily functions as needed and then head back down the trail. F and Jeff are in the lead and appear to be loping along pretty easily; I decide to stretch my legs a bit on this slightly downhill section and try to catch up to them. This proves impossible for me. It is only with less than a mile to go that I get close to Jeff; however, this was due to dogs in his way and I try to take advantage of it. However, he hears me behind him and pulls away again. At the end of the run, I give it all I have and still cannot catch Jeff. What an improved runner! I keep telling him he needs to run ultras! He needs a bigger challenge than six miles if you ask me.

Bob heads off to home and house guests while the rest of us get bagels and coffee. Jeff and I get out our garmins and compare our times. To my surprise, my last two miles were faster than his; but I still couldn't catch him. The guys tease me and tell me if I had 12 more miles, I would have caught him! Nah, make it 10; I think I could of caught him in 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment