"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Santa Fe Before Ice Cream

Santa Fe Regional Trail
June 17, 2010
6.20 miles
1:00:01 (one hour)
9:41 min/mile

Once again the day has slipped by and I am running in the evening. Actually, this is good training for when I begin my "real job" next month and will either run at 5am (yikes) or after work.

I have a race on Saturday - 14.5 miles up a mountain with a final elevation of 14,000+ feet. This translates to another easy run today. I decide 5 miles is plenty and begin at the Baptist trailhead. As I approach the town of Monument, I realize that their Thursday evening Art Walk is in progress - people abound on the sidewalks and I meet a few walking toward town. It is a great summer evening and I envy those going to the art cafe in front of the trail headed for a glass of wine while they peruse the local art.

Once I hit the center of Monument, instead of turning at the the 2.5 mile point, I elect to continue until I've run 30 minutes to make my total evening run an hour in length. This puts me almost to the 3 mile point just past the Hwy 105 trailhead. Once I turn, I powerhike back up the underpass and retrace my steps down the Santa Fe Trail.

I approach the Baptist trailhead with not quite an hour; therefore, I decide to continue on past until I've reached the hour point. This puts me at over 6 miles and I am happy to finally see the hour mark. I stop my garmin, turn around, and walk back to the trailhead for a nice cool down. Once at my car, I return a missed call and find out the family is going to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream. Yes! I'll meet you there!

A great way to top off a nice run this evening - coffee lover's delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment