"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Monday, March 1, 2010

A New Month

Santa Fe
Beginning of what I call the Narrows
on Falcon Trail
March 1, 2010
12.6 miles
2:14 hours
All in all, February was a wash. Back pain slide-lined me for quite a bit and I hate that. I checked last year's running and I was about 15 miles off for the month this year. Not happy about that but it was necessary to knock out the back ache and pay attention to the left hamstring.

So, March is here and off I go!

Today was a nice run with wind. I knew it would be windy and I'm trying not to avoid it; but embrace it with the knowledge that it will only make me stronger. A nod to Neitzsche there.

With that in mind, I started at the Baptist trailhead and ran down toward the Academy with the wind at my back knowing I would be going up hill on the return into the wind.
I felt pretty good and enjoyed the long straight stretch at North Gate and down. I slid into my favorite part of the this trail on USAFA, the Narrows, and began working a bit. I wanted to do 18 miles today; however, I got out late and I needed to change for teaching so at the 6+mile point, with the trail getting soupier, I decided to turn around. Smart move - my hamstring began to make itself known at the 8.4 mile mark. During the run down, I was waiting for it to begin twinging and I was pleasantly surprised that it held off as long as it did - twice as far as last week. I'm on the mend!

The trail back up took a lot out of me and I got my heart rate up a bit pushing my body into the wind. The wind is my friend; the wind is my friend... one of my useless mantras that keeps me going on days like this.

Overall, a good, tiring run, albeit not as long as I originally wanted; but still good and the weather was nice except cool. I started with jacket, hat, and gloves; took them all off on the way down and then replaced them one by one on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment