"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Greenland Open Space


March 13, 2010
Greenland Open Space
6.54 miles
1:07 hours
10:08 min/mile

Okay, note to self; if you want to run a trail by yourself that you've run with friends, i.e. Tracey, look at the map before heading out.

What a gorgeous day - running in long sleeve shirt and shorts and, can you believe it, only a teeny-tiny bit of wind! I headed out to run this trail since I'm running the Greenland Open Space 50K on May 1st instead of Collegiate Peaks 50 miler (see last weekend's post) and want to get familiar with the trail and course. My plan was to do one complete loop of 8 miles, maybe two, before heading up to Castlerock to watch Jess' softball tournament.

I started from the main parking lot and headed up to the left, which as I remember from running with Tracey out here, is the steeper section. Best to get the hills in first and then enjoy the rest. At the crest of the hill, the trail split in two. Huh, I didn't remember that when running with Tracey. I looked at the sign and the left trail said it went back to the Greenland trail, so I took that one. Like I said, next time, look at the map before heading out. After going down the left trail, I hit the main trail and stopped at the lollipop and looked at my garmin; I had only gone 3.32 miles. What? This loop was supposed to be 8 miles!

Now, completely discombobulated, I decided to do the same loop again and leave the real loop for another day. At least I'll know what trail not to take during the race! And, it was a good day with plenty of fellow distance runners out there. Too bad the trail was so soggy, I had to run on the lip of the trail for the most part.

Afterwards, a trip to the base gym's sauna! Felt great and my legs were pretty decent to me during the run; unfortunately, the sauna dried out my scabs on my legs and that was not so smart.

Let's see how a longer run feels!

No comments:

Post a Comment