"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Incline!



April 20, 2010
Incline and Barr Trail
Total miles: 5.87
Total time: 1:40 hours

I haven't been on the Incline since January and felt like a slug for not getting on it Feb or March. Even more so when Tracey did the Incline 3 times in one day! FYI - she's certifiably crazy!

So, knowing I'm a slug and lazy slug at that, I decided I needed to get on the Incline. Besides, the memory of how painful it is to actually do the Incline faded significantly in the last two months.

I parked downtown Manitou Springs and jogged up Ruxton Avenue for my warmup. Construction crews on the road made me jog the entire time since I didn't want to look like a wimp going up the road. Picture it, men in hard hats watching a crazy chick run up the hill with a silly smile on her face and a wave to them as she pretends not to breathe hard while passing them - that was me.

At the base of the Incline I paused to take a picture (above) and reset my garmin so I would have a true time at the top of this workout.

I began slowly but steady and tried to maintain the same speed/intensity all the way up the Incline. This is the first time I've tackled it since the snow has melted from it and it was easier to walk/hike up over the massive railroad ties.

I stopped once to take a picture about half way up it; however, I placed my phone in my jog bra and was covered with sweat. Consequently, the photo came out hazy; however, I was breathing so hard I didn't notice how bad the photo was at the time.

The Incline, according to my Garmin is .75 miles straight up with an elevation gain of about 2,200-2,300 feet. As you drive toward it from Colorado Springs, you see this "scar" going straight up the mountain -- that my friends is the Incline. But I digress.

I continued up the Incline with a pretty steady pace and was happy that I did not feel like puking this time. At the top, I stopped my Garmin and saw that it took me 44:44 minutes from bottom to top. A good time; however, I think I've done it faster with the guys in the past. I did pass 9 people on the way up and that wasn't counting the baby in the backpack!



Top of the Incline looking down.
Yes, the distant trail down there is
still a part of the Incline.
I elected to run down the Barr Trail and was glad I did since I heard thunder after catching the trail. It is never a good idea to be on Pikes Peak when there is bad weather. I ran down steadily but not as fast I could -- memories of falling on Waldo Canyon trail are too fresh in my mind. However, I still passed 15 people on the way down. I know, I know, I'm a numbers person! When I run by myself, it's a great motivator for me.

A good run and a very hard workout. I'm always glad I do it once it's over!

No comments:

Post a Comment