"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Thursday, April 22, 2010

VO2 Max Part Duex


April 22, 2010
VO2 Max study
2 hours
? miles

Today was the second day for me in the VO2 Max study at UCCS. The first time I did the test was at Colorado Springs elevation. Tonight, I did two tests - one at sea level and one at 14, 115' or the top of Pikes Peak. Of course, I didn't know which test was which until afterwards, or more precisely, after the second one whupped my butt. That's a Kentucky expression for all y'all westerners.

I was excited to do this part of the study; yet, anxious knowing that one of the tests would be at high elevation and worried about my performance overall. Brad and Lindsey were great and geared me up for the first test; however, the computer was reading negative numbers and therefore, a calibration was in order and more waiting until that was complete and the computer actually read my heart rate and pulse along with oxygen intake correctly.

Different from the first test, you breathe the oxygen mixture for 4 minutes before you begin running on the treadmill. Once the 4 minutes were up, I started running at a very comfortable pace for me (10min/mile). Brad then gradually increased the grade by 1% each minute. Low and behold, I went through 10% grade and didn't even realize I had made it; of course, I found that out later. I thought I didn't reach it and told Brad that I thought the first test was the Pikes Peak elevation.

After the first test, I had 20-25 minutes of rest for everything to return to base level. Even after 25 minutes, my heart rate was still a little elevated; but everything else felt good. That was until I began the second test.

At the start of the second test I felt tired and attributed it to going all out on the first test. Wrong-o sports fans, unbeknownst to me, I was running above 14,000' and feeling the effects. I believe I lasted around 5 minutes or to 5% grade before I couldn't take anymore. I began breathing very fast not too long into this second test and after 5 or so minutes into it, my legs just gave out as well.

Jumping off the treadmill, I felt horrible. My legs didn't feel like they would support me and my throat was raw from breathing so heavily and fast. I managed to croak out, "I change my mind, that was Pikes Peak elevation." Brad gave a short laugh and said yes it was. He also told me that a woman the day before got a headache just in the four minutes of breathing the oxygen depleted air, before she even began running.

So, with the tests completed, I found out my VO2 max scores:

Colorado Springs: 45.4
Sea Level: 47.9
Pikes Peak: 32.9

Lindsey said I was off the chart for an average woman my age! That was good news, as an athlete, she stated I was good as well. Lindsey said that given my VO2 max, I have the genetics and ability for the endurance distance running that I do. I felt pretty good and was happy my score was above 35! The decrease at altitude was normal and expected as was the higher score at sea level. Lindsey stated that this would translate into a faster 5K time; however, may not see a noticable difference in a long run at sea level.

So, what does off the chart mean? Here's a table of average women and VO2max scores

VO2 Max values for Women as measured in ml/kg/min

Female Age 40-49
Very Poor = <21.0>
Poor = 21.0-24.4
Fair = 24.5-28.9
Good = 29.0-32.8
Excellent = 32.9-36.9
Superior = >36.9

Link to complete table:
And the Reality Check: These are a few elite athletes and their VO2max scores. If I only had a trainer, a nutritionist, a coach, a physical therapist, all the money in the world and time as well ...

Athlete Event VO2 Max

Matt Carpenter Pikes Peak marathon record holder 92.0
Bjorn Daehlie Cross country skier 90.0
Miguel Indurain Cyclist (winner of Tour de France) 88.0
Steve Prefontaine 1 mile in 3:54.6 84.4
Lance Armstrong Cyclist (winner of Tour de France) 84.0
Joan Benoit Marathon runner (2:24:52) 78.6
Bill Rodgers Marathon runner (2:09:27) 78.5
Sebastian Coe Middle distance (1 mile WR) 77.0
Grete Waitz Marathon runner (WR 1980) 73.0
Frank Shorter Marathon runner 71.0

Teri Hedgpeth Mom, Professor & Ultra runner 45.4


No comments:

Post a Comment