"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Friday, April 9, 2010

VO2 Max Testing

April 8, 2010
30-45 minutes
3+ miles


I'm so excited! I am participating in a UCCS study of VO2 max testing. UCCS is spearheading a study to determine the extent genetic factors have on your VO2 max. Rick knew I wanted to have my VO2 max tested and set this up for me to be their willing guinea pig.

Today, I ran on a treadmill while the incline was increased 1% per minute until I ran a 10% incline - all the while maintaining a constant rate of speed. Wow. It was taxing and I won't know what my VO2 max is until I come back and do the 2nd and 3rd parts of this study - running at sea level and running at 14,000' elevation. Wow.

I'm anxious to know how I did. I wonder if they'll tell me, "we have no idea why you can run, your VO2 max is so low;" or if it will be, "you have so much more potential and need to run harder;" or if it is, "yeah, you've got a decent VO2 max and you're running at your limits." We'll see won't we in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment