"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Around Casper


Platte River Parkway
July 8, 2010
6.75 miles
1:00:49
9:01 min/mile

Another first run for me. This time it is the Platte River Parkway. I saw this paved trail along the Platte River when I came here in May and it reminded me so much of the Greenbelt in Boise, ID. I just couldn't wait to run it and see where it went.

Tonight's foray was north on the Platte River Parkway from the Ramada Inn parking lot near Center St. Since I'm new in town, only my third day, I had no idea where proper trailheads were and just decided to go where I knew I had seen it.

This strategy works great and as I leave my car at 7:24pm, I see a group of road bikers loading their bikes into a big truck. I also notice two people wearing matching Livestrong shirts. Since I am wearing my Livestrong shirt, I stop and say how much I like their shirts and strike up a conversation. This is a fully-supported bike ride across the US and they stopped in Casper for the night and a rest day. Wow! That sounded like a lot of fun and someday, after I'm cured of the running bug, I would like to do that!

I tell them goodbye and head up the paved trail to see what I can see. It is beautiful along the river which is rolling along pretty fast and above its normal water level as I understand from all whom I've talked to. The cottonwoods are still shedding however, and I am continually dodging pieces of fluff in the wind.

I meander down the parkway and pass softball fields full of teams and children playing tag along the fences. It is a wonderful night. As I continue down, a Frisbee golf course appears on my left then I cross the Platte River and head up the trail towards town where it appears to end. This is a good turn around point at almost 3 miles and I head back the way I came.
As I get back to where my car is, I decide to continue past and get a full six miles in. This means I have to go up to road and cross the river using the automobile bridge and head south on the opposite bank which I do. I continue down this parkway until, once again, looming darkness begins to overtake me and I turn and head back to the car.

A nice run in the evening and a trail that has more possibilities as I get to know it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment