"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Casper Mountain


Casper Mountain Road
July 29, 2010
7.19 miles
1:23:53
11:41 min/mile

Casper Mountain with a view of the road going up the side of it. Casper Mountain is 7,841' in elevation.

Today, I needed to get out and run. Jess and I have had a blast in Casper and we have been so busy! Last night was the play which was great, tonight, she played in a co-ed softball game and did really well with the grown ups. Way to go AJ!! However, before that, I needed to get out and really work up a sweat, hit a mountain, something. With that in mind, I decided to power hike 3.5 miles up Casper Mountain and then run down it.

Casper Mountain road is paved, follows along the side of the mountain, is twisty as all get out, and a great work out with almost a continuous elevation gain the entire way with over 1500+ feet of elevation gain just in the segment I hiked.



I parked about a half mile from the actual climb and enjoyed the slightly uphill first section before the actual climb began. What a beautiful evening! I truly enjoyed this hike/run and believe I had a smile on almost the entire way up the hill. The drivers were friendly and gave me a wide berth, no one honked to scare the bejeezers out of me, and it truly was enjoyable.

I had to be back in time to take Jess to the softball game so I was very conscious of the amount of time it took me to go up the hill and I tried for as close to a 15 min/mile as I could manage. My first three miles came in at 16:27, 16:04 and 15:12 respectively. Lap 4 was half up and half down and came in at 12:45 followed by a 7:33, 7:19 and 7:15 to round out the 7 miles (the last .19 was at 7:05).

A very nice hill climb and one I will do again before Leadville!

No comments:

Post a Comment