"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Monday, July 26, 2010

Walkin' Casper

Casper, Wyoming
July 26, 2010
2 miles + 2 miles + 2 miles
fast, fastest, not-so-fast as fast but not slow
about 1:40 min

Moving to a new city can present all types of challenges ... moving to a new city, having a load of furniture in your pick up truck and the alternator going out on you as you pull into your new city goes beyond the realm of challenging and borders on I'm Freaking Out Here Man!

Sunday morning, I load, with the help of one of our cadets - Josh, our red pickup truck with furniture for my home away from home in Casper. Later that afternoon, I swing by the Denver airport and pick up Jess who just came in from NC to spend the week with me in Casper. After a nice 3 hours and 45 minute drive, the lights of Casper are finally in the distance as 9 pm approaches. We're ready to get to my townhouse, unpack, and bed down for the night. That's when the lights went out in Georgia, or more appropriately, on the truck.

Then the ABS brake light came on. The windows would not roll down. Then the radio went out. Then I began to scan the skies for signs of UFOs.

Fortunately for us, we were able to roll into Casper before the entire truck died at the busiest intersection in town. Long story short, a very nice samaritan took our dead battery out of the truck, put his charged battery into ours and followed us home. Then he promised to come back the next day with a new alternator and replace our dead one for us. Only in Casper my friends, only in Casper.

However, this also meant I had no wheels to get me to work Monday morning. No problem, I'll walk which I did in the morning; then I walked home at lunch for the cable guy and to pick up Jess; then we walked back to the college. I call this, flexible response! Air Force types know exactly what I'm talking about!

All in all, I logged over 6 miles of good power hiking in a skirt to boot! Monday, Monday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment