"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Falcon Trail Loop

July 24, 2010
Falcon Trail
13 miles

I wanted to do a double loop today; however, after being in Pigeon Forge all week and flying home yesterday, my GI tract was not cooperating this morning. I tried to get out early enough to beat the heat and instead, ended up getting out late due to what I called "Intestinal Distress." Yikes.

Finally, around 8:30 am I am at the trailhead and ready to begin one loop instead of the two I wanted to do. It is humid; but thankfully, there is an overcast to start the run. I feel a little tired but not too much and I am constantly amazed at how I've changed this year.

In years past, when I've run one marathon a year, it has taken me about two weeks to get back to where I want to even consider running. Last year, after my 50-miler, it took me a month. This year, I not only want to run a lot sooner (think about all the marathons distances I've run this year as training runs) but I am also able to run a lot sooner. So much so that one week after a 50K, I wanted to run 26 miles. Could have as well if I didn't mind being stinky and chafing!

Anyway, back to the run. As usual, I parked by the stadium and began my loop clockwise. Today, I hit an enormous amount of mountain bikers. How can you tell it's summer in the Rockies? Mtn. Bikers are everywhere! Today, no lie, at least 3 dozen mountain bikers on the trail -- this does not count the ones I passed who passed me back!

The run went very well. I had my camelback and my handheld bottle since I wasn't sure if the gas station would be open or not when I ran by. Also had enough food on me and ate throughout the run.

The significant climb up to the Eagle Peak parking area at around the half-way point didn't hurt me as much as it usually does and I even ran portions of it -- this is where I passed the mountain bikers. It is also always nice to the ego, after cresting the climb, to see all the mountain bikers resting at the top in the shade as I continue to run past them. I know I have a great stretch of slightly downhill running ahead of me to gather myself back together, control the breathing, and get into a groove. Yeah baby! Runners have endurance! Rest for us is running downhill, not sitting on our fannies on the the top of the hill! Okay, I really don't say any of that as I pass by them; but I sure do think it!

The rest of the run goes like clockwork for me, and happily, the fatigue at the 10 mile point I've experienced in the past is not there allowing me to run most of the last half of the loop.

Another day and another wonderful run on my favorite loop! I can wait to fall when the mountain bikers begin hibernating and the trail will once again become quiet for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment