"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Casper Mountain Scouting Trip


Casper Mountain - Centennial Forest
July 7, 2010
3.51 miles
40:03 minutes
11:24 min/mile pace


This is my first official run in Wyoming! I decided to head up Casper Mountain and see if I can find any running trails. I've heard of the Braille Trail and I want to check it out. After driving up the twisting winding road, I find a trailhead area and park there. This is the Wyoming Centennial Forest and also a huge cross country ski area and snow mobile park.

I head up one trail and find out that although it is marked "moderate" it is less than half a mile before I pop out on the road again. So I turn down the main logging/fire road in front of me and see what I can see. As I head down the road, I notice campsites and I file this away for future reference. In addition, I see two mountain bikers coming up the road. This gives me confidence that I should find something ahead. I do, the Braille Trail designed by the LIONS organization for visually impaired to enjoy the forest. I decide to take it and see how long it is.

I am only this trail for maybe a mile before it loops back to the start. Thus far, I have not had a whole lot of luck finding long single track trails. My meanderings continue up the road and I take another trail off of it when it ends. I'm in the trees following what must be a snow mobile trail. After this little jaunt that leads me nowhere, I turn around and head back down the fire road.

I spy another trail marking on the other side of the road and decide, why not? This leads me to what must be a great cross country ski area in the winter. Trails are short however, they also have lights. Very funny to see a light pole in the middle of a forest, let alone a series of them marking a trail!

Since I began my run after 7pm and I'm up on this mountain by myself, I decide that it might be a good idea to head back toward the car as it gets cooler. And this is what I do.

All in all, not a bad area and I know I might find some better trails yet. I was hoping for more than 3.5 miles; but I am beginning a taper for an ultra in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment