"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Double Loop of Falcon Trail


Falcon Trail
July 4, 2010
25.56 miles
5:22:08 hours
12:36 min/mile

This is my last long run before the Devil's Mountain 50K in two weeks and my last run before I head up to Casper, Wyoming and a new position. I also need to get this long run in despite the fact it's 4th of July. But you know, this is really what I love doing on holidays, birthdays, any celebration day -- I like to celebrate by running or hiking with my family.

Today, I begin a little after 8 am and park at the stadium parking lot. I like parking here so much better than the "official trailhead." It's psychological, I know, but that's a lot of running ultras is -- getting your head in the game in whatever manner works best.

I take the trail clockwise going my favorite way as well. It's a hot morning already and I'm out for a long time so I quickly decide to go into ultra mode and powerhike hills and run the rest. This strategy works great and I am almost all the way through the first loop before I even realize it.

However, I must make a statement here, a note to self; never, never, do another long run on a mountain bike trail the second day of the Tour de France!!! I have never encountered so many bikes on this trail as I did today! Nothing against them, I'm a huge Lance fan from way back; but gee whiz, they sure came out of the woodwork today! I would say two dozen bikers to only three runners today.

But I digress, and now, back to the run. I am taking my electrolyte capsules every 30 minutes, alternating my gel blasts with candy orange slices and pretzels and my fingers are still swelling. This is something I deal with on every long run. It doesn't worry me too much since it does happen all the time; I just have to make sure it doesn't get really bad. When I think about it, I will raise my hands up and shake and wiggle my fingers just to improve circulation. I also have my camelback and a handheld water bottle for hydration and I use both frequently.

After one loop, I am a little tired. I refill my camelback, grab some more food and decide instead of going clockwise, this time I'll reverse my loop just to make it interesting. Therefore, I head down the gravel road alongside the golf course and start that way, getting a sunny portion out of the way now.

Once I'm in the pine trees and almost to the road leading to the golf course which I must traverse, I run into a group of boy scouts on the trail. Calls of "Runner!" echo through the woods until a mountain biker appears coming from the opposite direction then it is a cacophony of "Runner! Biker! Biker! Runner!" These little boy scouts have taken their scout master's direction to heart and make sure all have cleared the trail for us. I nod to them as I pass and once again think to myself, I am so glad others are taking advantage of the great summer weather and the great outdoors.

As the afternoon progresses, the heat increases and so does my exhaustion level. However, all is well with my body and I continue with my ultra plan; and if I do not fully enjoy the entire run, I do not dislike it either. How can one not like this trail?

As I pass the Academy proper, I believe I can hear faint yells and calls from the Terrazzo. This can only mean that the new class of cadets has arrived and training has begun in earnest. When I round around the commissary, the gas station where I get water and use the restroom is ahead of me and I take advantage of the later hour (wasn't open first time around) and use the facilities, if for nothing else, to take a wet paper towel to my face and neck.

Finally, after what seems a very long time, I crest the hill behind the stadium and know I have less than a mile to go before I am finished and it is all downhill from there. What a day! Whew! I am bushed, hot, tired, and my feet are sore.

As I lean into the car to calm my breathing and take some weight off my feet, I wonder to myself, what in the world was I thinking signing up for Leadville! The bottoms of my feet ache. After I stretch a bit, sip some more water, a new thought comes to mind; my feet hurt when I walk in the mall but that doesn't mean I stop shopping! Sometimes you just have to put things into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment