"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Casper Running Group - Inaugural Run!

North Platte River
 North Platte River Parkway
January 8, 2011
3 miles
11:27 min/mile pace
(or thereabouts)

I was so excited to hear back from so many people over the Christmas holiday!  I sent an email out to about six people asking if they were interested in starting a running group in Casper and yes! was the overall response.  So, I planned the first run for today and at 3 miles.  Some have marathon experience and others have not, so we are beginning with 3 miles and will work up from there.  Our goal?  BolderBoulder in May and Casper Marathon in June.  Yeehaw!

Pump House and North Platte
River Parkway Trail (northbound)
So, this morning we met up at the Pumphouse at 7:30 in the morning.  Weather was forecasted to be 25 degrees and cloudy; however, it was a balmy 42 degrees when I stepped out of my car, albeit a tad windy.  Don was there waiting, eager to begin his new running career and soon the rest showed up.  Our group today included Eric, Jim, Mike, Don, Danica, Donielle, and myself.  Yay!

Once all were assembled, we headed north on the parkway and ran at a nice pace for 1.5 miles before stopping, stretching, and catching our breath. Soon, we turned and headed back the way we came for a nice 3 miles looking at a great sunrise and the river.  

I was happy to meet a fellow ultra runner in Eric and look forward to running with him on some of the trails he mentioned.  Donielle is super strong and ran very easily with all the other excerise she puts in.  Danica is on a mission to loose the final bit of weight from having a baby recently - this will be in no time since I can't see an ounce of excess weight on her anyway!  Mike is a super easy runner with a gifted natural gait one would kill for.  Jim is running for run; but I hope to convince him he needs to enter some fun races.  And Don, I don't think he's run before; but I asked him if it was hard after the run and he said he actually enjoyed it so much more than he thought -- yes!  Another soon-to-be-hooked runner!  

After our run, Eric and Mike continued while the rest of us headed to the Metro Cafe for coffee and post-run comeraderie -- my favorite part.  Oh, the stories!  I think I'm going to like running with these guys!!   


Eric is missing (took the photo)

 PS - my phone must be going on the blink -- my photos were terrible!

2 comments:

  1. Follow-up run on 1/15/11 -- http://go.nike.com/01ms6bd8

    Missed ya'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim! Getting ready to write about my run today ~

    ReplyDelete