"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Woodman to Cache

Parking lot and trail marker where we ended 
Santa Fe Trail
January 15, 2011
7.18 miles
1:04:20
9:02 min/mile pace

Chris stated he had a date with Diane and that's why he could not run this morning.  F, Felix, and Dano all had prior commitments as well.  So, today it's Jeff, Mike, Bob and I.  Ouch.  Jeff and Mike are fast -- good thing today's run is slightly downhill with some nice bumps thrown in for good measure.  Of course, that just makes it faster for those two.

We meet at Cache and Bob takes all of us to the start at Woodmen Road for this straight shot down the city portion of the New Regional Santa Fe Trail.  Most of this is either concrete or asphalt and not fun to run on regularly; however, the finish is on dirt trail and is a pretty flat finish.

We start at what seems to be a fast pace for me and at the mile point where the bike shop is, we stop for a restroom break and some serious gawking at cool bikes in the store.  My first mile was 9:16 and I'm thinking I sure hope the guys slow it down for me 'cause this is faster than what I'm running on the treadmill.  Oh no, not by a long shot.

The next mile is turned in at 8:44 with an 8:54 third mile.  Both Bob and I are behind Mike and Jeff and they appear to be running effortlessly as we are pushing.  I make a comment to that affect and Bob quickly agrees with me.  Right around mile four we stop at a regular stretch point and as I gasp for air, I check my overall average pace ... 8:54 min/mile!  Mile 4 was run in 8:43, Yikes! I also take my right shoe off to see what is happening to my arch.  I've developed a hot spot that I know will soon turn into a blister; but there is nothing I can do but put the shoe on and continue the run.

Sample of dirt trail at end of our run
Since I've started out so fast for me, my next two miles are in the 9:14-9:33 range and I am chugging up the hills even slower.  Finally, with one mile left to go; the course flattens out with just one underpass to run up before the finish and I turn in another sub 9 -- 8:53.  I am exhausted and completely bushed.  All three guys finished ahead of me and turn to give me their blessings as I wheeze in after them.  I accuse Bob of sandbagging it, just like Chris since he pulled away from me somewhere in mile 6.  Oh no, I caught up with Jeff and he pushed me.  Whatever; he's still stronger than he thinks he is and ten times faster than me on the hills.

This is why I love running with these guys, they push me so hard in such a fun way!  I also hate disappointing them and push myself to keep up.  After the run, more banter about what Jeff needs to do and what races he should enter since he is getting to be such a fast, strong runner.  I mention Collegiate Peaks to them and try to sell them on just doing the first 25 mile loop ~ we'll see :)

After the run, Mikey bought us bagels and I tried a Coconut water Naked drink -- yuck.  The guys asked me how it tasted, "It tastes healthy!" was my response.  Loaded with electrolytes, potassium, magnesium and tastes terrible!  It stated no sugar -- please put some sugar in it!!

Once home, I pull off the sock and take a quick look at the arch ... yup, a blister and all my repair stuff is in Casper.  I know it looks like no big deal and why am I complaining?  Let's see ... Leadville blisters rubbed my heels raw and changed my gait so much that those blisters knocked out both my legs and my ability to run downhill.  Yeah, I'm babying this sucker since I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment