"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Short Long Run

January 30, 2011
Casper
9.03 miles
1:28:15
9:46 min/mile

Today is my first pull back on my long run distance runs for this year.  I run longer runs three weeks in a row, then on the 4th week, I cut the distance to give myself a break and rest the legs a bit. Also, my family has been visting this weekend so that has an effect on when I actually get out for the run.  I originally wanted to do 11; however, it is a little later than I'd like before I actually head out for the short, long run today -- it is almost 4 pm when I hit the trail with Don and the sky is overcast and threatening snow. 

We park at the Parkway Plaza and head north up the North Platte River Parkway all the way to Bryan Stock Trail.  Don and I have an easy pace averaging around a 10 min/mile pace.  Once on Bryan Stock, we decide to head up a gravel road to give us another mile before turning around.  By this time, a few snow flakes begin to swirl down and around us. 

As we continue back to the truck, we are still doing a very steady pace and having a good run.  We hit the starting point and we've run 7 miles, enough for Don to stop and jump on his bike to accompany me on the last bit. 

After hopping on his bike, Don made some comment about how I must have taken it easy on him and that I could probably go a lot faster.  That gets me thinking.  No wind, cold and just a bit snowy ... perfect conditions to blow out the lungs a bit.  With that, I'm off and running.  Mile 7 with Don was at the very good pace of 9:39; mile 8 on my own, I hit 8:41 with mile 9 a little slower at 8:59.  However, during mile 8 the snow became faster and by the time we turned to run the last mile back to the truck, visibility was nil and the quickening snow and darkness was enough for us to say 9 miles was enough for the day. 

A very nice run and we finished just in time to get out of the worsening weather.  I just wish I could get off the pavement a bit more, I'm beginning to feel it in my achilles tendons and think it's high time for a new pair of road shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment