"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Casper Trails


Casper from the top of the hill and trail
January 22, 2011
Casper
4 miles
46:31
11:38 min/mile pace
I am going to have to remember to record the run times somewhere other than my garmin.  I have all the information; it is just not handy at the moment.  That means I will update this blog with the pertinent information later ... stay tuned for the nitty gritty details~ (updated!)

Today we had a new runner join us, Crystal!  Our meet up point for the Casper Crew was Mike Lansing Field to have Mike and Eric lead us across the dirt trails north of where we have run the last two weeks.  The North Platte Greenway continues north up to Bryan Stock Trail; however, we wanted to get off the road and onto the beaten path this morning.

It's not too cold and actually rather nice out for January in Wyoming.  Eric takes the lead and suggests we run up toward the Ramada and turn around before we head up the hill to warm up our legs a bit.  This idea is well received by all and we are quickly on our way.

Crest of first hill looking back down the trail we just ran up.

After our little jog up the Platte River Parkway, we leave the asphalt path and head up the hill by the Interpretive Trails Center.  I ran around the base of the hill earlier last fall; however, I never saw the path up the hill that now appears so well-marked by the lack of vegetation and the amount of snow.  We are quickly huffing and puffing as our crew heads up the hill.  However, the view is gorgeous and the hill is well worth it. 

Once we crest, Eric informs us that there are a couple of more trails off to the left that we can tackle at a later date.  Today, we decide to just head straight on the trail we are on until we reach a trail that will take us back down the hill and create a nice circle heading back to our cars on the paved trail. 

At the trail leading down to the paved path, we stop for a second to make sure all can see which way we are headed. That is enough for me to look down at the trail and wistfully wonder how fast I can tackle it.  I do so love floating downhill with a prolonged, out-stretched stride.  Mike takes the lead with Maisie and I cannot resist to pass others as I decide to let it go down the hill.  But Ho!  I am brought up short not too far down the trail as it rapidly becomes very steep.  Now, I do not like to press my luck and tumble down that section so I pull up and shorten my stride and take it easy and much smarter down until the angle decreases and I can run a bit faster. 

There is a Frisbee Golf course along the
North Platte Greenway -- who knew
they had signs like this?!

Once we all are at the bottom, Donielle tells us somewhere in the last section she put her foot down on shifting sand and rolled her ankle.  She decides to take the flat asphalt back to the cars and I decide to run with her.  We are not alone in this and soon, we see behind us more of our group doing the same.  However, Mike, Eric, and a couple others stay on the trails until they run out and must jump on the asphalt with the rest of us. 

All agree at the end of the run the trails were fantastic and must be run again.  At the cars, Eric and Mike tell us they are going to now run the Windy City Striders first run of their Winter Series, a 5K that starts just a tenth of a mile up the path.  Don, Jim, Donielle and I elect for coffee while Danica must hurry to work and Crystal needs to meet up with her daughter. 

After coffee, as I head out, I decide I need a couple more miles under my belt and text Don as I drive to the Pump House to see if he's game enough to join me.  He has informed me that his goal is the 25 mile Collegiate Peaks run.  I'm planning on the 50 miler and he will do the 25.  Knowing this, I ask him to run with me every chance he and I can get together.  He rapidly says, yup, he'll do a couple more miles and we meet to get those in where we've met the previous two weeks. 

We have an easy pace since we both have just sat for about an hour laughing and joking with Jim and Donielle.  We run north for a little over a mile and then turn around.  All in all, we logged 2.55 miles at a 10:29 pace in this little "secret training" session.  Our total for today ... 6.55 miles.  Now I feel a bit better.  I need more mileage to get me ready for Collegiate Peaks.  Tomorrow we plan to meet for 13 miles.  Don says he'll run what he can and then bike the rest ~




No comments:

Post a Comment