"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday's Long Run


Popping out of "The Narrows"
Santa Fe Trail
January 16, 2011
Woodmen through USAFA
11.0 miles

A cool day for a long run.  Temperatures in the low 40s or high 30s, an excellent temperature range.  I have on capris and a long sleeve with a tank underneath and I'm doing great. 
I'm beginning to get the long runs back; slowly but surely and this Martin Luther King weekend was just what the doctor ordered to get me back on a schedule.  Work has been hectic and the short, winter days make it even worse. 

Today I wanted a nice stretch of trail that wasn't flat.  I wanted a bit of scenery and variety so I chose the section of the Santa Fe from Tucker's Tie-In or Woodmen north through USAFA for 5.5 miles before I turned to head back down.  This is the prettiest section of the entire trail in my humble opinion.  In addition, it is the only section that really has a lot of hills in it.  Now you know why I chose this particular part for today's run.  In the fall ... wow, it is just beautiful.  Today, it was pretty. 

After yesterday's run, I put a blister band aid on my right arch and hoped for the best.  After a mile into the run, I had to stop.  The blister was hurting.  I took my shoe and sock off and checked to make sure there was no movement of the bandaid or wrinkles in my sock; nope.  Just bad luck to have a blister there so I replaced all and continued on.  What else is a girl to do?

Ice Lake

After two miles, I stopped at Ice Lake for the porta-pottie and realized that the blister felt a bit better (it finally popped) and the pain was nowhere near as bad as the first two miles.  Once again, pain is temporary, the guilt of not finishing a long ... forever!

There were a few more runners out today and it is always so nice to greet them as we pass each other.  Just a nod, a flick of the fingers or a smile is all that is needed to recognize the brotherhood of runners.

Going up a steep part of trail

I ran up and down through the wooded section I refer to as the narrows and as the half-way mark approaches, I see the bench where my Colorado Springs group of runners stop to stretch when we run down this section from North Gate to Woodmen.  That was as good a place as anywhere to turn around so that's what I did. 

A great run and one I was very glad I was able to do.  My speed is not where it was prior to all the ultra training last year; but I'm okay with that.  I know some intervals on the track will change that in the spring.  I'm just happy to build my base again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment