"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Friday, January 21, 2011

Evening Run

Casper - Sage Park
January 21, 2011
3.81 miles

Okay, okay, I work really long hours.  And yes, it's difficult to get out when it gets dark at 4:30 or 5:00pm at night.  But Don is expecting me so I head out of work this Friday early. After all, I work 10+hour days -- most average 11 or so.  Therefore, I don't feel bad leaving a little early on the Fridays that I am up here working.  Or for that matter, coming in a little late on Fridays.  We're closed after all anyway.  Still, here it is, a little after 5 pm and I need to get my butt in gear and get this run in the books.

Don meets me at my house and we take off down 15th Street to Sage Park -- this begins the loop I ran with Mike in October.  He showed me this when there was light; when there wasn't any snow or ice on the sidewalk and when I had some tiny bit of energy.  Note to self -- stop whining and continue the post.

We hit Sage Park and run down the nice paved path that makes it way all the way down to 2nd street.  We are doing well; it's downhill, it's cool and only a little wind.  Once at 2nd St., we turn right to hump it up the hill to the stoplight in front of Pizza Hut where we are both out of wind.  Whew!  A nice little jaunt up the hill and now we are ready to turn around and head back. 

We ease into the run and hit our stride as soon as we hit the trail going back up to 15th.  As we run, Don tells me that he and his wife are taking their house off the market.  This is an important fact for me since I'm beginning my search for a home here in Casper.  He's renting it.  Now that's potentially good news for me and we discuss this as the last mile slips by underneath our feet. 

Don has had to stop once or twice on this run; but that's okay.  He's worked out earlier today and not at the same endurance level as me. I know this bothers him; but I continue to reassure him, it will come, it most certainly will come and soon. 

Once we hit 15th, we elect to powerhike back up to my house since it is much darker and there is too much ice to pick around while watching for vehicles who may, or may not, have a death wish.  He remarks that I can powerhike faster than he run right now.  I get that a lot.  I have years of experience trodding through concourses in heels trying to make it to my flight on time -- all of the with a smile pasted on my face.  That, plus the training up Colorado fire roads the last two years.

3.81 miles today and I'm okay not to stretch it into 4.   A very good run and Don is getting so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment