"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Long Run

Casper, Wyoming
January 23, 2011
North Platte River Parkway
13.25 miles
2:18:33
10:27 pace

I was supposed to get out around 10 am this morning; however, it was freezin' outside and I texted Don to delay until after noon.  He was just fine with that ... thank goodness!  Unfortunately, the longer you wait to run, the more powerful the wind is in Casper.  When we finally hit the trail at 1:50pm, the wind speed was 26mph with gusts up to 36mph (wunderground.com).  The wind is my friend, the wind is my friend ...

Joints creaked as we eased into the run.  A nice tailwind pushed us along we headed out from the Ramada parking lot north on the trail.  Today is the last long run, next week I drop back in distance only to pick it up the following week.  I need a break every now and then.  Don is running smooth and doing so much better than I ever anticipated.  His weightlifting is paying off in spades -- no sore legs, no injuries.  I must begin this.  It is a New Year's Resolution afterall.

The hill to our left protects us from most of the wind right now and the going is pretty smooth.  We hit Bryan Stock Trail and head up the road to a likely looking turning point.  From there, we feel the wind.  Our speed drops about 30 to 40 seconds a mile but that's okay: long runs are not meant to be speed workouts.  We are building endurance and learning to run on tired legs.  I turn to Don in this section and state, "I'm sure you've heard this before but it would be a rather nice day if it weren't for the wind!"

At the 5.4 mile mark, we are back at the truck and Don hops on the bike to ride next to me for the final 8 miles today.  We are heading directly into the wind and Don does his best to let me draft behind him.  My pace is a bit better now that I'm running on my own (from about an 11min/mile to 10:30 min/mile heading into the wind).

We wind along the outside North Platte Trail and head into Mills and beyond the water treatment facility.  This stretch is beautiful and I love running here; however, today this is also the only stretch that has ice on it and we pick around it some until the turn around point at nine miles or so. 

Once we turn, I have one major hill on the way back and a nice tailwind for the most part.  I am moving much better and the pace drops again to below 9:45min/mile for 3 of the final 4 miles.  I am very pleased that after running 9 miles, I am able to find my legs again and use them!

Pulling into the parking lot, I see I am not on an even number so I tell Don I just need to get to 13.25 (instead of 13.15) and I head down a bit more as he loads the bike.  I am tired; but it's a great, good tired and I am happy I got out in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment