"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." Lasse Viren

Friday, January 14, 2011

Santa Fe Trail

USAFA grounds just past the yellow gate
Santa Fe Trail from Baptist to USAFA gate
January 14, 2011
3.09 miles
29:21 minutes
9:30 min/mile pace

I love running on trails!  I miss this in Casper!  I even miss the hills.  With that in mind, I headed south down the Santa Fe Trail so I could get the hills in that are on this section of the Santa Fe before entering USAFA territory.  This out and back run is almost perfectly at 3 miles and affords a variety of scenery as well as terrain.

4:38 pm and it is cooler at about 38 degrees than I thought it would be.  The sun has just dipped below the Front Range and the air chilled from the 46 degrees to what it is now in less than half an hour.  Still, you cannot beat running in Colorado, in January, with capris, one shirt and a shell on over that.   The trail is in near perfect condition with only one icy, snowy patch near the turnaround point.  Great news, especially after running in snow on Sunday and ice on Wednesday in Wyoming.

There are quite a few of us runners out this late afternoon.  We all give a nod to each other as we pass and head on our way up or down this long, dirt trail.  One runner I met went back over a particular hill once as I passed him on the way out and again as I headed back toward him after my turn.  "Getting your hill workout in!" I tossed over my shoulder as I passed and he chuckled back and continued to slowly trudge up the hill.

Less than thirty minutes later, I am done and breathing hard as I pushed back up the trail with a strong finish.  The air is cool and the light is waning ... but what a great run!

No comments:

Post a Comment